nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer prune gooseberries and currants?

  • From: LEE REICH <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer prune gooseberries and currants?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:27:37 -0400

Summer pruning does work on gooseberries, just as it does with red currants. Usually this summer pruning is done to maintain an espalier. In my books UNCOMMON FRUITS FOR EVERY GARDEN  and THE PRUNING BOOK, I describe the proceedure, which is, basically, to cut all new shoots back to within 5" of the permanent leaders just before (not after!) the fruit begins ripening. In winter, cut those shoots again, this time to within 1" of the permanent leaders. I haven't done this with gooseberries but it's worked very well for me with red currants and it should work with gooseberries.

Lee Reich
 www.leereich.com

"Brungardt, Sam" wrote:

I know that the usual recommendation is to renewal prune currants and gooseberries in early spring.  However, I was wondering whether one could prune in mid-summer, just after the fruit has been picked, instead.  -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)

_______________________________________________ nafex mailing list  nafex@lists.ibiblio.org **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!** All other messages are discarded. No exceptions.   ---- To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options): http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex File attachments are NOT stripped by this list TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES! Please do not send binary files. Use plain text ONLY in emails! Message archives are here: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/