nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Mulberry

  • From: "baylands" <baylands@cros.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Mulberry
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 01:20:15 -0400

My mulberry crop was not too large. Birds seemed to get most of them.

I really have two main mulberry trees. The Illinois Everbearing for which I
paid a lot of money 12 years ago has never had what you would call a heavy
crop. That would be OK if it lived up to its name and bear fruit all summer,
but it doesn't do that either.

My second mulberry tree was accidental. It has excellent sweet tasting fruit
and usually bears a heavy crop over a long period. It is interesting how I
got it. I purchased a load of sandy topsoil to use in mix for potting trees
and to supplement my clay soil in raised beds. Mulberry seedlings kept
sprouting up in the pile and I kept pulling them out, Finally, at the end of
the planting season, the pile was down and one lone mulberry seedling
remained. Well it got bigger and I neglected to pull it or cut it down. I'm
glad that I let it grow because it surely out-performs my expensive one.

Ro Chapman
The Baylands at Port Clinton, OH --- Zone 5/6