nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:50:29 -0500

At 06:46 PM 7/14/2004 -0400, you wrote:
Dear Folks, Anybody else have an exceptional mulberry season?

My two Illinois Everbearing trees had their typical good crop of tasty berries, and will probably wind up the season in another week or two. A young Collier bore a nice crop, it's first, and I was pleased with fruit size and taste.
A branch of Stearns, grafted onto Gordon Nof's "Packy" selection bore a nice crop of good quality berries.
"Packy" sort of redeemed itself this year - it may have just needed a little more maturity, but it bore nice, tasty berries. It's now a multi-variety tree, fostering a number of varieties that may not be winter hardy here, high-worked onto upper branches.
I didn't get a chance to check on the ortets of my favorite local M.rubras, and the grafts of them that I have growing at the house didn't fruit this year.
The M.alba seedlings planted at the edge of the orchard bore their typical heavy crop of small, tart berries, but the birds liked them, and largely left the cherries alone and stayed out of the blueberries until those mulberries were gone.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY