nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer prune gooseberries and currants?

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer prune gooseberries and currants?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:31:21 EDT

I frequently prune gooseberries during the growing season.I do this primarily to reduce the side shoots on the canes. I prefer to have the plants open to make harvesting easier. I am sure that I lose some total capacity of fruit but I think that I make up for it with larger and better quality fruit, just as thinning peaches or bunch thinning grapes. Remember that dormant pruning is a stimulating process and that summer tends to be an inhibiting process.

One thing that I adhere to is that I do NOT tip or cut canes other than back to the base of the plant. Cutting a cane (heading it back) makes many side shoots or branchlets and that makes harvesting a bit harder and painful.

Ed Mashburn