nafex - [NAFEX] pollinate chestnut using pole?

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pollinate chestnut using pole?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:52:38 -0500

I have a grafted Luvall's Monster chestnut. Big [say 1.5" round] blooms are
evident on laternal branches just out of reach of step ladder. But I can
reach it with a tree pruner or stick. What are the chances I could tape some
female bloom of a different variety to a stick and reach up to the bloom on
the Monster, shake some pollen onto the bloom and increase my chances of a
set on those particular blooms on the Monster?

Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / good plum crop this year in Massachusetts so long as squirrels leave
'em alone