nafex - Re: [NAFEX] third apple for backyard orchard?

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] third apple for backyard orchard?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:11:44 -0400

On Jul 10, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Doreen Howard wrote:
. . . I got
Ashmead's Kernal and Honeycrisp from him on the proper dwarfing interstem
and hardy rootstock I needed in my cold winter climate.
. . .

I second the suggestion of Ashmead's Kernal. I haven't grown it long (and it keeps being eaten by deer, so it may never mature) but I've bought them from a nearby orchard. They are hard to find, and will never be a major commercial crop, because the fruit is small and ugly. But they are crunchy and taste terrific - it's my family's favorite apple. This is not a fruit for everyone, as it's very tart, but it's also very sweet, and has a pleasant flavor. It's a small russet and keeps for several weeks in the fridge. We finish them before they get too old.

Ginda Fisher
eastern mass, zone 6
(apples purchased from zone 5)