nafex - RE: [NAFEX] plumcot - hardy almond

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] plumcot - hardy almond
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:10:47 -0700

Good thing the tree has a good shape and is
healthy or I would have yanked it out years ago.
-Mark Lee, Seattle z8

Mark's reply to my question about plum/apricot hybrids in a maritime climate reminded me of my 35 year old almond which has bright pink flowers which look as though they are starting to grow almonds, but have never done so. Well, not quite true - I think I remember there were three almonds once about 25 years ago.

It is a nice looking tree, with shiny narrow green leaves (9 cm long, and 3 cm at the widest part - 3.5 inches by 1.2 inches). Very big, even though I have removed large branches occasionally. I just walked out on an upstairs balcony to pick one of the leaves to measure. It is above the roof of my two storey house, and equally wide as high.

Back in the 80s, there was an article in Pomona about Hall's Hardy Almond, with the suggestion that people should grow its nuts to develop some better varieties. I wonder if anyone did that. I also wonder if my tree is a Hall's.
The article said it was self-fertile.

Any ideas as to why my tree doesn't produce nuts?

--
Diane Whitehead Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8