nafex - [NAFEX] plumcot, aprium etc for coast?

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] plumcot, aprium etc for coast?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:27:30 -0700

An enthusiastic local gardener has been reading some U.S. garden magazines, and asked me for information about importing a plumcot tree. Quite aside from the difficulties and expenses of doing this, I suspect that fruit developed in the Central Valley of California would not produce particularly well in a coastal climate.

Plums do well here. I spend a ridiculous amount of time thinning most of the fruit so that branches won't break off.

Apricots do not. They seem to be rather tricky to grow well and are grown in the interior valley of my province of British Columbia, between the Coast Range and The Rockies.

So what about their hybrids and backcrosses? Plumcot, Pluot and Aprium. Are they worth growing in a maritime climate?

--
Diane Whitehead Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8