nafex - RE: [NAFEX] plumcot, aprium etc for coast?

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] plumcot, aprium etc for coast?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:46:41 -0700

Diane,
I try to grow pluots in Seattle, which is similar to Victoria. I would
not recommend pluots if you want to grow it for fruit. I grows well
here, really vigorous. But the timing of the flowering is a weak point.
It blooms in February or early March. Lack of pollinators, wet weather
and potential for frost damage make fruit production a gamble. This
year everything in my garden is producing, and the pluot tree will have
maybe 10 fruits. This is from a tree that is 9 feet tall. It has had
no fruit for the last 5 years, so that averages out to 2 fruit per year!
The fruit tastes excellent. Good thing the tree has a good shape and is
healthy or I would have yanked it out years ago.
-Mark Lee, Seattle z8