nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grass in blueberries

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grass in blueberries
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:16:13 -0500

On Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 10:17 AM, Rick Valley wrote:

Way back when I bought a house in SE Portland, there were 2 blueberry bushes
on the E side of the house, (bluecrop?) with lawn grass tangled up into them
clear to the crown.
1- I gave them a pruning
2- I cut the grass out- using a Japanese sickle- a kama- (I'd read that the
blues dislike root disturbance)
3- I mulched with pine and Cedrus deodara needles (I read they like acid)
(the old lady whose driveway I'd sweep for the Cedrus needles would give me
cake and pie)
4- I planted Houttynia cordata, Gaultheria miqueliana and G. procumbens
under the blues (you really ought to try G. miqueliana berries on a
chocolate cake!)

Im interplanting bearberry & lingonberry between blueberries....

5- I'd pee on the planting during the winter rains (good cover from the
neighbors)

I don't know about grass on the west coast but here in the midwest peeing on grass makes it grow faster, taller & greener.

mIEKAL