nafex - [NAFEX] dormant season coming

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] dormant season coming
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:34:44 -0400

It's time for my plants to enter dormancy, but my new apricot is still looking like August. Is this normal for apricots?

Cleaned up the blueberry patch this weekend - wow was it overrun with grass. I've been pulling everything I could see in the spring and fall, and putting about 4 inches of shredded oak leaves on it each fall, but that doesn't seem to inhibit the grass at all. This fall I'm trying newspaper - at least three sheets deep, and then I'll put mulch in top of that, either shredded leaves, or peat moss, or a combination of them. (I have most of a bale of peat moss left over from when I first planted them, and maybe it's time to use it up.) I would have thought that the soil would be acid enough to inhibit grass by now, but I guess not. Has anyone had much luck keeping the grass down?

Best,
Ginda
gentle fall drizzle here in eastern Mass., zone 6