nafex - [NAFEX] New member

  • From: "gorgon zolla" <lazolla@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] New member
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:15:45 -0400

I've just joined NAFEX after growing fruit for many years. I learned some of what I know by tending my father's plantings when I was younger. I live a few miles from Nerstrand, Minnesota, USDA zone 4a.

Though we grow a little of everything, my real interests are melons and tree fruit. The season is really a little too short for melons, for us, but we do what we can and usually get at least a partial crop.

We presently have about 40 fruit trees -- apples, tart cherries, plums, apricots, and pears. Most of these are the common cold-hardy cultivars for the Midwest, though we have started adding a few more unusual trees. Our oldest trees were planted in 1998 and are just starting to bear.

We also have 20 of these little hybrid hazelnut bushes from Badgerset, which have been in the ground for two years now.

Recently I've taken an interest in cider and perry, and am planning to plant suitable trees next spring. Not much info on perry pear hardiness, so I am planning on setting out a dozen different kinds on the theory that, with luck, two or three will produce.

Steve Dunlop

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com