nafex - Re: [NAFEX] dormant season coming

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] dormant season coming
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:35:13 -0700

Ginda:

Im growing my blueberries in quack grass & reed canary grass. Nothing more gnarly that trying to grow small bushes in grass that will easily get 7ft tall if you let it. I use 2-3 layers of plain brown cardboard (no color ink, plastic tape, staples) & then covered with about 4-8" of all the left over saw dust & shavings from our woodworking shop. I layer with more cardboard & sawdust when the grasses start making their way thru. Also when I plant blueberries I dig a ten dollar hole, mixing a lot of peat in with the existing soil. (We have a heavy clay loam). mIEKAL