nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cultivar of the Quarter

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cultivar of the Quarter
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:34:49 -0400

I haven't grown honeycrisp, but I've eaten some. I can second the "wish they had more flavor", as the ones I had were very sweet, but otherwise rather bland. They certainly have a terrific texture, and keep really well tucked in my refrigerator. On the other hand, a lot of people like sweet, bland apples. My brother once said that he likes Delicious apples because "when I eat an apple I want it to taste good". So when I tried the honeycrisps, I immediately thought of him, and bought him a box. He liked them a lot.

I've heard they get rich flavor when grown in colder climates. Mine came from applecrop, and I don't recall where they were grown.

Ginda