nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cultivar of the Quarter

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art@complum.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Jacquelyn Kuehn <jakuehn@mail.yourinter.net>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cultivar of the Quarter
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:29:43 -0500

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 09:29, Jacquelyn Kuehn wrote:
> Apricots "Moongold" and "Sungold"

I set out two Moongold and two Sungold last fall that I got on an
end-of-season sale. Against all advice from Extension, I planted them
last October on a slight southeast slope, and again against all advice
from Extension, I expected apricot to grow in Iowa. (They didn't know
that my family has always had apricots.)

Despite a dry winter, and heavy clay soil with moderate drainage, they
did well this year. They set a lot of fruit, which all dropped. There
was some insect damage on the leaf margins earlier because of a cold,
wet spring. They are looking good, thriving, and I'm looking forward to
homemade apricot jam again.

No rodent damage yet.
--
Art Petrzelka