nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apples are now sold by variety name (sort of)

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apples are now sold by variety name (sort of)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:56:21 -0400

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 11:02 PM, list@ginda.us wrote:

I went to the supermarket the other day and saw a big bin in the "seasonal produce" section prominently labeled "McIntosh Apples". It was full of nice, unusually large mac-like apples. Clearly this season's fruit. "Gee", I thought, "I didn't realize the macs were in, yet." Then I looked more closely. Every apple bore a little sticker stating "Paula Red".

I bought a few. They were very good, and did taste a lot like macs.

Ginda Fisher

If you feel like bothering, you could ask to talk to the produce manager, who might either a) not have a clue and have thought they were macs or b) have thought none of the customers would know what Paula Red was and that they would sell better labeled as McIntosh.

Produce managers don't know what the customers are thinking, often, because nobody tells them.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly