nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cultivar of the Quarter

  • From: "Richard J. Ossolinski" <osso@acadia.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cultivar of the Quarter
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:21:13 -0400

Art, Jackie, et. al.,

Nice idea for a new feature in Pomona, Jackie/Allen.
For what it's worth, both Sungold and Moongold were dismal failures here and
nearly put an end to my adventures with apricots. However, Puget Gold (as
some recent Nafex Conference attendees might attest?) has done decidedly well
here, and might be another variety worth trying. No negative feedback
(so far) from any of the folks to whom I have recommended (or for whom I have
planted) this variety, though I haven't heard how Don Yellman's have done this
year down in his neck of the woods. Hope your success continues, Art.

Honeycrisp is another winner up here - truly in a class by itself: annual
yields of good sized, (although our drought has affected their size this year)
beautifully colored and "explosively crisp" apples that keep better than
anything I've ever grown. The typical leaf discoloration persists but
apparently has no negative effect on the end result. Wish they had a little
more flavor, but I bet a lot of folks are already working on that.

Richard
Gouldsboro, ME Zone 5