nafex - [NAFEX] cultivar of the quarter

  • From: "R. Keith Etheridge" <goatdoc@ctitech.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cultivar of the quarter
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:57:28 -0500

I've had a Colette pear in a failed orchard for maybe twenty years and got a few fruits yearly that matured at the same time.The tree was surrounded by brush and briars.Miller nursery in NY advertises it as maturing August till fall and calls it overbearing.Last year I fenced the area,put a plastic
fence around the tree and turned the goats in.The goats cleared the brush and briars and fertilized.This year its had a large crop for  ten days and now a small secondary is getting ripe.Good pear when peeled.
Keith
Zone 5b