nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Online Exchange Page

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Online Exchange Page
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:45:34 -0400

Mark Lee wrote:
I believe that the NAFEX board has made it quite clear they have no
desire to join the electronic generation and offer membership benefits
via the web. This is especially true of publishing the newsletter
electronically despite an article discussing the need for a small
increase in dues because of the cost to produce and distribute POMONA.
If some members refuse to pay this small and necessary increase, total
membership will continue recent year's trend of declining.

I'm guessing this is a subject that has been heated, so would anyone be willing to explain this oof-list to me? Online publishing can be a rather wholesome net monetary increase to an organization with little to no extra effort. Many small groups are using it in these days of declining revenue and increasing costs. Some folks even ask for both print and electronic memberships.

Eventually the relatively small numbers of new members and an aging
population in gardening/plant organizations will make it very expensive
to publish printed materials and a nonprofit mailing permit's slow
delivery costs continue to rise. The combination of costs absorb all of
the membership revenues and forces them to spend a lot of time in fund
raising to augment the membership revenues unless drastic increases of
dues are approved.

not to mention the easier storage of backissues!!!