nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer fence cost

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer fence cost
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:20:22 +0000

you could knock the deer in the head that are rolling on the ground laughing.

Good, deer can't eat while laughing!

Tie a strand of tape....This will flicker in the wind and the deer doesn't know if its cotton or stainless wire.

I agree the upper rows are mostly a visual barrier, any tape is more expensive than bulk wire, but I like the idea of wind making it rattle

Electric fencer control units can be purchased on E-Bay for 35 to 99 dollars (non-solar).

When one needs a remote fence, solar is all I know of to use. and they need a good whallop, a cheap one a friend bought is pretty worthless

I waited through several cycles and got a fencer (doggie patrol type) for $25. The all work the same,

Couldn't disagree more, weak chargers, or long intermittant times mean a fence will easily by grounded out and truly make deer laugh

Bait the wire with peanut butter

This is the 'education course' I depend on, Because we have a fairly stable deer population they learn quickly and remember. I only charge the 2 rows immediatly above the 4' fence, the others are dummies. Being able to have my lowest elecrtic wire at 4' has greatly helped in solving grounding-out by strands of wet grass I miss cutting.
I had posted my costs hoping others will pitch in with what they have spent and what they feel they got for it, there are so many choices to make! thanks, Del