nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer fence cost

  • From: paul simon <paul.simon@tcs.wap.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer fence cost
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:03:57 -0500

Title: Re: [NAFEX] deer fence cost
My one acre orchard is now fenced. Having limited funds for the orchard project, I did not go for the 'proper wildlife / deer fence '. Here is my compromise to date. Last fall I put in 8' steel T posts on 20' spacing, bottom is 4' field fencing, top is electric wire. Cost $335
36 T posts @ $3.30         = $120
4'  Fencing       x 800'       = $175
1 mile wire and connectors = $40
4 cedar corner posts, salvaged
total                                  $335
Not included is the fence charger - as it was already in use and is an expensive remote solar type ($160), if it wasnt already there I would have gone ahead and spent the money instead on a second layer of 4' fencing. Those figures would look like this
36 T posts @ $3.30         = $120
4'  Fencing    X 1600 '             = $350
hose clamps               = $30
total                              = $500
I wish I could buy T posts taller than 8' (which give above ground 6'6")  This winter not a single deer entered - even though my orchard was a favorite eating spot. The real test is, of course, when the apples begin to bear, hopefully within a couple years
(it is mostly on seedling rootstock). All I have figured out so far to get the fence to 8+ feet - is to fasten cedar 2x2's to the top with stainless hose clamps. Using the theory that above 4' a fence is mostly a visual, than physical, deterrant. I may get by with just adding another couple rounds of wire, perhaps old barbed wire to be more visible.
A 4 acre plot is of course not 4 times the cost of one acre, as its perimeter is only double that of one acre.
Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3

Dell,  You have a Cadillac there. Go out at night with a hammer, and you could knock the deer in the head that are rolling on the ground laughing.

Tie a pressure treated or cedar (black locust is best) one by one or 2 x 2 so its top is 8 feet above ground to your fence post. Tie it on with copper electrical wire so it will last forever. Tie a strand of tape 20 inches above the electric wire, stretch it to the next post, wrap it around that post, all the way around the orchard. Run another tape 20 inches above the first, and so on, to the top of the 2 x 2.  This will flicker in the wind and the deer doesn't know if its cotton or stainless wire. It doesn't want to find out. I use mylar electrican's fishing tape.  It has held up 2 years. Go to the craft or hobby shop and see what they have.

Electric fencer control units can be purchased on E-Bay for 35 to 99 dollars (non-solar). Premiere has a nice web site, but o-my their prices.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=fence+controller&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&ht=1&from=R10&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=
    I waited through several cycles and got a fencer (doggie patrol type) for $25. The all work the same, some have more chrome and lights.

Bait the wire with peanut butter stuck on pie plate sections stapled to the wire. Do it every 2 weeks to keep the smell fresh and strong. Space the plate eights every 8 feet.  Use single strand aluminum fencing wire from  Southern States $3 or 4 for 160 feet.

The deer will smell the PB, lick it, and get knocked back on his or hers butt. They don't know the upper tape is only a dummy, but they can't examine it close or bring a stepladder to get over. Just keep the PB up.

I used to have nightly visitors for a chief's salad. They tested all the tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers to add to the green beans.  Now the only time I am bothered is when the PB gets too old.

disclaimer; will not keep out raccoons, woodchucks, rabbits, or possums.

Paul S.   a farm boy from the '40s, stuck in the suburbs now.