nafex - [NAFEX] deer fence cost

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] deer fence cost
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:22:11 +0000

My one acre orchard is now fenced. Having limited funds for the orchard project, I did not go for the 'proper wildlife / deer fence '. Here is my compromise to date. Last fall I put in 8' steel T posts on 20' spacing, bottom is 4' field fencing, top is electric wire. Cost $335
36 T posts @ $3.30 = $120
4' Fencing x 800' = $175
1 mile wire and connectors = $40
4 cedar corner posts, salvaged
total $335
Not included is the fence charger - as it was already in use and is an expensive remote solar type ($160), if it wasnt already there I would have gone ahead and spent the money instead on a second layer of 4' fencing. Those figures would look like this
36 T posts @ $3.30 = $120
4' Fencing X 1600 ' = $350
hose clamps = $30
total = $500
I wish I could buy T posts taller than 8' (which give above ground 6'6") This winter not a single deer entered - even though my orchard was a favorite eating spot. The real test is, of course, when the apples begin to bear, hopefully within a couple years
(it is mostly on seedling rootstock). All I have figured out so far to get the fence to 8+ feet - is to fasten cedar 2x2's to the top with stainless hose clamps. Using the theory that above 4' a fence is mostly a visual, than physical, deterrant. I may get by with just adding another couple rounds of wire, perhaps old barbed wire to be more visible.
A 4 acre plot is of course not 4 times the cost of one acre, as its perimeter is only double that of one acre.

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3