nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer fence cost

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer fence cost
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:41:51 -0800

Lucky Pittman wrote:

My favorite supplier of electric fencing materials, Premier, has some info on deer exclusion fencing at their website, but are not currently stocking materials for 'permanent' deer fence.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/shttore/fencing.html

I don't have any first-hand experience doing deer exclusion fencing, but from a cattle/horse/sheep standpoint, electrified high-tensile perimeter fencing is vastly less expensive to install and put up than any combination of woven/net wire &/or barbed wire, easier to maintain, and in many cases, has a longer lifespan.
Gotta have a GOOD fence energizer. Mine cost me about $450 back in '95 - but it puts out 10,000volts when I get all the grounds/shorts in the fence fixed, and is rated to push 'juice' through up to 150 miles of fence. It really packs a wallop. A good electric fence is a psychological barrier, but I'm presuming to completely exclude deer, you still need some fairly substantial physical barrier as well.

Lucky

My deer learned to jump right through my pure electric fence.
So I learned by experience that one needs a physical barrier for our deer here.
They learn fast.
Sam