nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws and butterflies

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "bmn@iglou.com, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws and butterflies
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:48:27 -0700

> truthfully...just wait...you'll get them. And you'll be better off
> having stock from the local gene pool. Wherever there are pawpaws,
> zebra swallowtails are in abundance. And they're out fairly early too.

I think it would take awhile for enough pawpaws to be planted in the
intervening areas to allow Zebras to move to RI; I never saw Zebras in NY or
eastern PA; if you could find chrysalae ("cocoons") that close to RI you'd
be quite justified in trying an introduction, imho. But I'd be willing to go
farther for a few Zebras; in my scientific opinion, they are too cool!
Certainly it was a mistake to introduce an exotic like pawpaw to RI;
although not near so vile as to introduce a promiscuous hybrid like apple to
N. Am! ;)
-Rick