nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:55:47 -0700

Fly pollenated flowers, besides foul smell, tend to have the color of dried
blood. I don't think that's on the violet end of the spectrum. Infrared?
Amorphophallus (voodoo lily) wild ginger (Asarum) and pawpaw are all
examples. Asarum isn't even usually visible, the flowers are tucked under
the leaves down in the duff; smell has to be key there, but the color is
dull dark maroon.
I never had any problem getting fruit set on pawpaw in the city.
More flies? :)
-Rick