nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Failures

  • From: "DerryWalsh/Bill Chase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Failures
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:47:57 -0800

Chris,

One possible cause of continuing failures with a particular variety is that
the source of your scionwood is not good i.e. weak.

I've had lots of failures with Lord Lambourne, but I kept getting my
scionwood from the same tree. I think this is the problem.

I read somewhere (The Apples of England by H V Taylor) about a variety
weakening after many generations. In other words, the tree which is a great
great great great grandaughter of Lord Lambourne will not be as vigorous as
the original tree.

Perhaps try another source of Northern Spy.

Derry

Bill Chase & Derry Walsh
Aldergrove, B.C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML

> Northern Spy - I've attempted to graft this many times, but something has
always gone wrong. Does anyone else have a variety that for some reason
they can't get started?