nafex - [NAFEX] Failures

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Failures
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:01:28 -0500

I'm listing a few here. Some aren't necessarily complete failures, but I
haven't had success yet.

Amelanchiers - Attempted these at my old home. Had varieties Jennybelle and
xGrandiflora. Terrible problems with rust and (particularly the Jennybelle)
would get terrible deforming galls/cankers. Would like to try these again
someday.

Citrus in pots - these grew perfectly well for me, but hauling these in and
out at season changes and keeping them constantly watered, it was way too
much work for very little output.

Figs - Have had Petite Negri and Chicago Hardy, in pots and a Chicago Hardy
in the ground. For the potted ones have learned that I'm not repotting often
enough. Very little production. With minor protection during mild winters
can get a nice crop for planted in Chicago Hardy. Way to much work to bend
over and cover. In harder winters it is frozen to ground.

Pineapple Guava - Too early to say as yet.

Northern Spy - I've attempted to graft this many times, but something has
always gone wrong. Does anyone else have a variety that for some reason they
can't get started?

I have one variety of red raspberry that is so late, that it only comes into
production when the frosts arrive, so I plan
to eventually take these out. In general caneberries have done very well for
me.

Blueberries were a failure for me until I learned to replace half the soil in
the planting hole with peat moss. Now a big success for me.

Jujube - One tree (Li?) died for me. Never replaced. Would like to try again
sometime.

Persimmon - Purchased one Kaki. In 2nd year leaved out but died later that
summer. Grafted Shojatsu onto purchased D. virginia rootstock. Tree
languished under too much shade for 2-3 years. Did not leaf out after
transplanting this year. Late into fall rootstock threw up some growth.
Have multi-grafted two other (large) D. virginia rootstock (Kaki, hybrid, and
native). Am going to attempt transplanting them this Spring.

Apricot - am in the interest group. Am attempting some varieties that may
work better, but thus far on a "Goldcot" (I think) I have gotten 1 (good!)
fruit in 2 years. Am also looking into some "frost sprays" and ways to
delay bud break.

Peach - Have been attempting to graft these for years. May have gotten my
first successful bud grafts this fall. We'll see this Spring.

Plums - Japanese have been frozen out the last two years. Am trying some
European varieties.

Ribes (Gooseberries, red currants, and Jostaberry) - I can successfully raise
these, but no one wants to eat them.

Kiwi, Hardy - Haven't had much of a crop yet at my old planting. Am
attempting again with a proper trellis to see if it goes better.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6