nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #336 - 10 msgs

  • From: "Michael Glassford" <glassfordm@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #336 - 10 msgs
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:39:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 10:31 PM
Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #336 - 10 msgs

> In the "old days" you would corner off the northwest part of basement from
ceiling to floor and insulate the walls that you cornered off leaving hge
concrete walls to the outside uninsulated.

I did this for the first time this winter, and so far it has worked quite
well. It wasn't particularly difficult to do and, in my opinion, was worth
the effort.

> It works quite well as the cold leaches in slowly form theoutside, and the
lack of air circulation keeps the temperature in the "cellar room" colder
than that of the rest of the basement.

From all that I've read, while there should be lack of air circulation with
the rest of the basement, there should be air circulation with the outside
if at all possible to help lower the temperature in the walled-off corner
and help prevent spoilage (due to buildup of moisture & of various gasses
released by stored fruits and/or vegetables).

Mike