nafex - [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #336 - 10 msgs

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex digest, Vol 1 #336 - 10 msgs
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:31:06 -0800 (PST)

Chris wrote:

I'm thinking about cider only because I believe I'm going to
produce far more apples than I can consume directly. But I'm
also going to have a storage issue. I don't own a "root
cellar". My basement, because of my furnace and air ducts is
quite warm in the winter [w/ the A/C it is quite cool in the
summer]. I don't have direct basement access so I don't have
a "Bilco door" that I've seen used for winter time cool
storage. My garage is attached, but becomes close to the
winter temps outside (and is too warm early in the season).
So some of the apples can be processed for applesauce, and a
small amount for pre-made pie filling and canned or frozen
(when a freezer is purchased). Some can be dried. And some
can be turned into cider. But I'd like to keep some of the
keepers for winter eating. Any thoughts on how to create some
ability to store the apples?

My reply:

In the "old days" you would corner off the northwest part of basement from
ceiling to floor and insulate the walls that you cornered off leaving hge
concrete walls to the outside uninsulated.

It works quite well as the cold leaches in slowly form theoutside, and the
lack of air circulation keeps the temperature in the "cellar room" colder
than that of the rest of the basement.

the fluffy bunny

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====