nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ground Egg Shells

  • From: Rodney Eveland <Reveland@WYOMING.com>
  • To: Nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ground Egg Shells
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 14:46:35 -0700

>Hi,

>My experience is that drought is the main cause of blossom end rot on
>tomatoes. In my experience roma varieties suffer most from this during
>drought, possibly due to the shape.

>With no water coming into the carrying nutrients, the plant steals what
>it needs from the fruit. A blister occurs in the fruit and the rot
>develops from there.

We are hearing that blossom end rot is caused by a lack of calcium
combined with improper watering practices and variety.

http://extension.usu.edu/plantpath/vegetables/v_blossomendrot.htm

http://cesacramento.ucdavis.edu/Master_Gardener/1998_Tomato_Variety_Trials.htm

http://msucares.com/newsletters/pests/infobytes/19990204.htm

This next url states that one can get it even with adequate calcium.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/blendrot.htm

This last one list some varieties with a bit of resistance.

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/vegetable/blossomrot/blossomrot.htm

My Early Girl's were not able to resistant one year when I went on
vacation.