nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ground Egg Shells

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ground Egg Shells
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 16:05:06 -0400

>I'm thinking of saving eggshells to spread on the garden for the
>calcium. Any dangers I should be aware of? Does it attract critters?

I just toss eggshells on the compost pile - I have never noticed 4 footed
varmints bothering them. In Spring/Summer, the birds eat them, sometimes
larger birds haul pieces up into the trees to pick at them.
A few years ago I buried several test samples in plastic mesh bags to see
what would happen after a few months in our acid red clay soil. I buried
them about 6 inches deep in a mulched flower bed that has evergreens and
had not been amended with lime. Between June & September, when I
remembered to dig them up, the eggshells had disappeared completely, as had
a bird skeleton I had found in the woods. A cooked pork rib bone appeared
more porous than when buried, and was now hollow and clean. A raw bone
from a T-bone steak was about half gone and stark white.
I am amazed that paleontologists ever find an old bone that has been buried!

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC
Hardiness Zone 7A