nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ground Egg Shells

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ground Egg Shells
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 17:36:15 -0500

Blossom end rot on tomatoes is a calcium distribution problem. It can be caused by lack of calcium in the soil (in which case eggshells might help; I don't know how many you'd need), but is more commonly caused by erratic water availability; even if there's plenty of soil calcium, if water's not fairly continuously available it doesn't get out to the fruit.

There is a lot of variation in susceptiblility between varieties.

-- Rivka