nafex - [NAFEX] fruit exploring

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] fruit exploring
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:22:21 -0500

At 01:46 PM 9/23/2002 -0400, Tom wrote:
Any good fruit explored lately?
Well, Tom, let me see...

I came across a really nice shellbark hickory on a dove shoot back at the first of the month. Large nut, with shell thin enough that I can crack it with a little two-legged Quackenbush hand nut cracker. Due to drought conditions here, many of the nutmeats are not well-filled, but it's good enough that I'm probably going to have to graft it into my collection. (If I can figure out how to post photos to the list, maybe I'll send one of it)
My local shagbark selection, which won 1st place at the KY State Fair this year, is taking the year off, after producing a heavy crop last year - the handful of nuts I've found underneath it are all blanks.

Some of the local persimmons have been dropping ripe fruits for as much as 3 weeks, though in small numbers.
I've been collecting all the bur oak acorns I can beat the squirrels to.

I was in the Lexington, KY area this weekend with my boys, for the KY State 4-H Shooting Sports competition, we spent a few hours at an entertainment complex(putt-putt golf, go-cart racing, batting cages, etc.). In the landscaping around the putt-putt course, there was a nice little Callaway crab, loaded with heavy clusters of tasty little apples, a Kousa dogwood with some nice, well-filled fruits, and several bushes with big clusters of blue-black berries - Aronia melanocarpa!

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY