nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Groundhogs

  • From: Dan Sorensen <dan.phantom@westpa.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: brucehansen@acd.net
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Groundhogs
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 19:56:00 -0400

Bruce,

Are you a fan of The Lord of the Rings perchance? I recall almost the exact words ("If one can't give life, one should, perhaps, not be so anxious to take it away.") being spoken by Gandalf regarding Frodo's attitude toward Gollum.

I used to shoot any woodchuck that came into my yard and usually felt guilty about since they never had actually done any damage to anything. I stopped shooting them one day and discovered they quit coming into my yard for several years after that. Nowadays my pair of miniature dachshunds patrol the yard and alert me whenever one dares to intrude. They keep him busy while I find a 5 gallon pail and slip it over him. Then I slide the cover in underneath, flip the pail and he and I take a ride in the pickup to a state gamelands two miles north where he is released and given a chance to make a new life. When I get home, the dogs always check out the pail to be sure the chuck is gone.

My brother is an avid woodchuck hunter. He helps out the local farmers who dislike them for the damage their burrows and mounds do to their equipment. He cooked some up once and I tried it. I found it tallowy, tough and quite gamy tasting. Perhaps the preparation was wrong, or the time of year or age of the chuck wasn't optimal, but I'll be reluctant to eat it again except in case of famine. My grandfather used to eat them regularly, but then he'd eat almost anything, including skunk.

Dan Sorensen