nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach Seed Germinating

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach Seed Germinating
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:40:07 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Peach Seed Germinating
You can germinate them by letting them just sit, dry, for a month or so after extracting.  Then put them in a plastic bag with moist peat moss and refrigerate (NOT freeze) them.  You will know when germination starts - the stones will open and you will see small white roots coming out.  That's the time to pot them up.
You can also just plant them in the ground in the fall and wait for them to grow in the spring, though it's a good idea to protect them with hardware cloth or other heavy screen to keep the rodents out.  Slugs will eat some, too.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on The Grape Grower at http://www.bunchgrapes.com