nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 05:00:14 -0400

Gord:

Hardiness rating on these (and most all new stuff) are unknown as
they've not been widely planted. Sundance has been in the NE-183 (varietal
trials) for some few years.
Late season means "October" here in zone 6 and your northern location
may prohibit it from maturing.
Re: Don Yellman's comments on NovaSpy. It is another scab resistant
variety from Nova Scotia which has excellent quality (rich vanilla-like
flavor). It is however sensative to CAR.
Freedom is simply a bland-flavored apple which is sensative to many
diseases (other than scab). And I've eaten them at many locations including
Geneva, NY where it originated.

ed