nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Papaws

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Papaws
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:32:22 -0500

At 09:41 PM 09/15/2002 -0500, J.Frisk wrote:
I just had my first Papaws from my orchard.  I have had the trees for about 20 years.  They are about 20 feet high.  I believe that I have just one variety.  It suckered another large stem a number of years ago that is as tall as the original tree.  I planted two varieties but the other one died almost immediately.

Judson,
If these were grafted selections, the root sucker that came up is from the seedling rootstock, and is, indeed, a second 'variety', thus providing the opportunity for cross-pollination between the two.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY