nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Opinions on tree size and spacing

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Opinions on tree size and spacing
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:45:50 -0700

I have about an acre + in orchard here on the oregon coast.
!3 x 13 foot spacing , mostly m111 X m109 root stock.
There are some asians, pears and plums included.
It is not too crowded and I drive my 20 hp craftsman tractor down the rows to mow.
I think climate makes big difference.
I could not have done this on my CA place as they would have overgrown me there.
In CA I would have put them in on a 20 x 20 spacing.
I planted originally there at 15 feet and I was getting crowded when I left there.
Sam

Dale Burkholder wrote:

I recently bought a 9 acre farmette and want to plant about 1 acre in apple orchard. I would like some opinions on tree size and spacing. I had planted about 40 trees with 70 varieties grafted, on all kinds of rootstock where I lived before, but the trees haven't grown to full size yet so I didn't have a chance to learn from all my mistakes. Here's what I'm thinking now. Plant part of the orchard on approximately M26 size rootstock for the dozens of more "commercial" varieties, and smaller, M9 size trees for the 100 or so wierd, experimental, unusual, overlooked, and test cultivars. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd like to try them all right here. Probably mostly roadside sales.
A local commercial orchard has M26 trees spaced about 9x18 and they look too crowded - not enough space to drive through, although that's only 270 trees per acre.
My questions -
1. What tree size would you recommend? (Yeah, I know some cultivars are more vigourous than others).
2. Spacing. With room for tractor.
3. What about Cummins' Geneva rootstocks? I kinda like not having to worry so much about fireblight. And where in the world do you get Vineland 1?
4. And, finally, while I'm collecting opinions, any wisdom on growing the more northern varieties in the "South".

Dale Burkholder
apple testing addict
Shenandoah Valley, VA
reluctantly admitting I'm in Zone 7 now