nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:36:44 -0400

Doreen:

U. of MN has released 'Zestar', a high quality late summer (short
season) type.
Purdue has released 'Pixie Crunch' a high quality mid season (early Sept.
here) type primarily for the homeowner,
due to its relatively smallish size. Also, Purdue released 'Sundance', a
late season and very high quality yellow apple
which is resistant to all major diseases.
Cornell hasn't released anything in this time period (the last being
Fortune which turned out to be a "mis" fortune due
to its many problems).

Obviously, I am biased (like everyone else!!), but of those above
Sundance is the clear leader as it is the first Vf (scab
resistant) YELLOW variety which has both excellent quality and excellent
resistant to Cedar-Apple Rust.
The other two are worth planting (especially in shorter season, or
northern districts). Pixie Crunch, in particular has
flesh crispness which approachs that of Honeycrisp and is super sweet, makes
a smallish tree, etc. Zestar is a tart-sweet
type, vigorous tree and productive with large fruit size.

That is about it other than a few from outwest (primarily from BC) like
Silken, a early mid-season apple of moderate
(bland sweet) quality, Ambrosia which is apparently high quality and a bunch
of Fuji sports which ripen earlier (like Jubilee,
Auvil, Benishogun, and others).

ed