nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Foley Food Mill (pawpaws)

  • From: "Mark Garrison" <pawpaw1@cox.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Foley Food Mill (pawpaws)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:47:41 -0400

Gordon wrote:
> Foley also now has a larger Stainless steel model. I put everything
through
> from Pawpaws to tomatoes.

Looks like I'll have a big pawpaw crop this year for the first time, and my
wife wants to know what to do with them. At Kentucky State's pawpaw
conference last year, the Louisville chef who uses pawpaws said they peel
them then put thru a "potato mill," which I gather is similar to a Foley's
mill. Others at the conference said you should not eat the peels of
pawpaws. But peeling seems a lot of work if you could run them thru the
mill without peeling. My question: are pawpaw peels harmful, or just taste
bad? Would it affect the taste (or healthfulness) of the pulp to just slice
the pawpaws and run them thru the mill without peeling?

Mark Garrison, RI zone 6