nafex - [NAFEX] Foley Food Mill

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Foley Food Mill
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:15:18 -0400

Hello Lon,

How does a Foley food mill work?

I have seen images of it on the Internet, but I am baffled
as to what happens to the fruit pulp. Does the auger blade
just run over the pulp multiple times until you remove the
pulp?

Having never used a Foley food mill it would appear that
only a very limited amount of fruit could be put through
it, before it would have to be emptied of pulp.

What are your observations?

I am looking towards next year as right now, as I have
heated, mashed currant pulp (a little added water) draining
in a colander, then to be put through an old funnel strainer
(lined with cheesecloth) with mortise, which is a lot of
work when looking at more than 10 quarts of berries. And
boy does currant juice stain when you are going through all
these steps (unhappy spouse).

Thanks,
Tom

--