nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cornelian cherries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cornelian cherries
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 08:42:43 -0500

At 03:46 PM 08/18/2002 -0700, Lon wrote:
They should be allowed to ripen and soften. The Europeans don't use the
fruits until they fall from the tree and are fairly dark in color. Even
then, they may let them lay for a couple of days for the best flavor to
develop. I have a lot of them coloring now, but they won't be useable for
at least another two weeks.

Of the three fruiting age C.mas trees I have access to in a city park here, one is almost finished - it produces the largest fruits of the three, and I've been collecting a few ripe fruits when I've been passing by, for close to a month. The other two still have mostly green fruits, with an occasional red one here and there.
As Lon said, the flavor is best when they're dark red and soft - just beginning to shrivel. I have a hard time beating the birds to many of the fruits, but the do seem to mostly just peck the flesh, and leave the seeds.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY