nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Killing Poison Ivy

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Killing Poison Ivy
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 17:05:23 -0400

>The best medicine is
>2,4-D applied when the plants are fully leafed out, and it >will have to
>be done more than once, perhaps in successive seasons. >Oddly enough,
>2,4-D is more effective than the much pricier glyphosate
>(Roundup) at
>eliminating p.i.
I agree that Roundup is only moderately effective against p.i.
One question that bounces around in my head is what happens after you spray?
Does the 2,4-D wash into streams or water table? I remember when Roundup
first came up it was supposed to "bind to the soil particles", this doesn't
make me overly comfortable, but perhaps it prevents it from washing into
streams or the water table.

2,4-D is highly toxic to grapes, and it can, under certain atmospheric
conditions be "reabsorbed" into air and drift (I'm not talking about wind
driven drift at the time of spraying). Since it is a broad-leafed weed
killer, it has been popular for corn.

As to the oral-route preventing allergies, that seems to go against part of
what allergists are saying about children and too early exposure to certain
allergans like peanuts.

I've also read that people can have immunity to p.i. and suddenly lose it.

I had a co-worker years ago who cleaned out a patch of regular ivy from his
yard. Turns out it had p.i. in it. He had been carrying it in great bunches
in his arms. Had rash from his wrists to his knees.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6