nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Killing Poison Ivy

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Killing Poison Ivy
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 15:56:31 -0700

My understanding is tha Roundup biodegrades rapidly after it is mixed with
water.
If you leave some in the sprayer all mixed for a few days you will find it
does not work anymore.
A normal spraying of 2-4-D washes into the soil and will migrate within the
soil over a long period of time, but tests have shown that it moves very
slowly and in a normal soil (not sand) it will be many years before any shows
up in the water table.
Sam

Mauch1@aol.com wrote:

> >The best medicine is
> >2,4-D applied when the plants are fully leafed out, and it >will have to
> >be done more than once, perhaps in successive seasons. >Oddly enough,
> >2,4-D is more effective than the much pricier glyphosate
> >(Roundup) at
> >eliminating p.i.
> I agree that Roundup is only moderately effective against p.i.
> One question that bounces around in my head is what happens after you
> spray? Does the 2,4-D wash into streams or water table? I remember when
> Roundup first came up it was supposed to "bind to the soil particles", this
> doesn't make me overly comfortable, but perhaps it prevents it from washing
> into streams or the water table.
>
> 2,4-D is highly toxic to grapes, and it can, under certain atmospheric
> conditions be "reabsorbed" into air and drift (I'm not talking about wind
> driven drift at the time of spraying). Since it is a broad-leafed weed
> killer, it has been popular for corn.

Whlie our FDA does not monitor it, the European medical community has been
using oral imunization methods for years now.