msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Standards
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:52:34 -0500

I too work directly with 3 States and am directly involved with the validation efforts and the creation of standards for SAR Teams and MSAR personal.  I am also a consultant for DHS within the fields of preparedness, response and incident management enterprise.   MSAR-Riders readers may want to research HSPD-5, HSPD-8 and HSPD-12, NIMS and review the National Response Framework (and its ESF matrix), in order to obtain first hand knowledge of FEDERAL guidelines.  The government has made it very clear the responsibility to MANAGE an incident rests with local government; with coordination and support efforts being focused towards State and lastly Federal government agencies.  Please keep in mind that the Federal Government will not withdraw grant money, they simply will not disperse it; please research this topic yourself, the guidelines for non-compliance is somewhat clear as mud.

I (and my SAR team) support training and the training to validated standards, whether it be local, state or “industry” best practices.  My MSAR Team is a card carrying (voting) NASAR Team; the team has also adopted ASTM International SAR and MSAR standards, Maryland and Virginia SAR/MSAR standards and supports NASAR’s SAR Tech-III testing.  However folks, please know that NASAR is not a national AGENCY, nor is ASTM.   Being on the radar does not give any private organization the right to claim “national agency” status.  I have no problem paying $10 dollars for a document, in order to of set the cost of printing (i.e.: GPO documents), but I do question why private sector organizations are charging so much for SAR related testing, materials and dues. I can only speculate it has to do with declining incoming.

Personally, I do not consider my involvement with SAR and MSAR a hobby. I spend over 25 years as a paid, full time first responder (law enforcement) and now that I am semi-retired, I gave back what I have learned to support the SAR community. Most of the MSAR folks I know spend 2X as much money as other SAR responder annually.  “I also am very cautious about anyone claiming: join me or be doomed.”

Rant off- Regards

T’mi

DHS ICS 400 Instructor

KB3KMI