msar-riders - [MSAR] WARNING LABELS!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] WARNING LABELS!
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:55:29 -0500

[Deleted HTML duplicate. -Una]

While taking my research for a horsebackriding helmet that might be good for
me, I decided to take the "EXTREME" approach! While I do not ride broncos or
bulls, I find it interesting to note that on the helmet equipment that I saw
on a few websites for both helmets and protective vests designed specifically
with rodeo in mind, they all came with a label that read as follows:

WARNING! Use of this equipment does not guarantee protection from serious
injury while participating in Rodeo events.

So with that in mind, it tells me that even though that safety equipment is
available, the manufacturers make no guarantees of your protection in riding
events. Seems fruitless to me that if the insurance companies recommend
them, why on earth they would recommend them without a guarantee, but then we
are talking liabilities and negligence then when we get into lawsuits and
that is not my discussion although, I cannot imagine any insurance company
that would want anyone wearing ill-fitting or poorly made safety equipment,
so, I guess then, a looksee into the companys policy and a serious talk with
an attorney would be the best option in gettign deep in that matter.

Some comments about the headgear used in rodeos, particularly the helmets
or headgears with the steel face protectors...they are still no match for an
1800 lb bull with a psi coming from a 6inch hoof....so you do the math! Also
mentioned about this type of gear, cowboys were finding a great hinderance to
their riding abilities due to the limited vision they had while using the
helmets with the face protectors as well as having balance problems from the
helmets weight alone. So with those factors in mind, helmets can make you or
break you and so can the vests. As a rider with disabilities, I can see
trouble with helmets in that they might not allow for persons to have balance
while ridign unless they were fitted with the appropriate weights to
compensate for the riders physical problems etc. Beign that much of ridign a
horse is BALANCE, well, you do the math.

The riding helmets that I have seen in the local feed stores around here,
well, they come with no label, just wrapped in a plastic bag settign on the
shelf and no advisor knowledgeable in the store to give me a good fit...

Since I do not ride broncs or bulls I am still sticking to my Stetson as it
is far better than riding in something that does not fit me.But then, this is
my personal choice since I have yet to find a helmet that is not a hinderance
to my disability and disability and balance. What someone else does, that it
their choice and to their own situation.

When you consider the above, to have a mandatory regulation in certain
given professions that could make you or break you...well, you do the math.
I stand by my opinion that the choice of safety gear is personal matter when
it comes to what you use in the line of helmets and vests for
horsebackriding. And as for the insurance companies, well, there just might
be that little aguement about the equipment that might make you or break you
in that just like in Hurricane Katrina, was it the huricane, or the levis
that caused the damages? Far be it from me to judge...just tossign this into
the ring for discussion.

Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - Unaffiliated

VISIT US AT: