msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SAR Tech testing

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SAR Tech testing
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:49:59 -0700

Tm' Fi wrote:
>Personally I believe the national standard "minimum" ground SAR
>requirements for MSAR personnel should include the successful completion
>of a recognized 40 hour fundamentals of SAR course (such as the NASAR or
>PACE FUNSAR, and the successful completion of a recognized written
>examination (such as the NASAR online SAR Tech III test).

Some FWIW's...

There is no formal course associated with PACE (the New Mexico
certification program). PACE certification is awarded strictly
on passing the set of tests I mentioned. Courses are offered
on a more or less formal basis; some run just a few hours and
a few may exceed 40 hours. New SAR units generally want long
courses; established SAR units may prepare their new recruits
in service.

NASAR SAR TECH III and II (also SAR TECH I?) certifications are
granted on passing the relevant tests, regardless of attendance
or performance in a preparatory course. This is often termed
"challenging the test" or being a walk-in or self-study testee.

ARRL operates this way too, re Amateur Radio licenses: usually
a long course is offered, but it is not necessary. I obtained
my Technician Class license by reading a book, then challenging
the test at the earliest testing session that was convenient.

I would not require all SAR responders to take a 40 hour course
in addition to challenging a test. I think responders who don't
need 40 hours in class to learn the material should be spending
that time learning something else.