microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID.org and Microformats.org

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter AT jabber.org>
  • To: yaniv AT yedda.com
  • Cc: microid AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID.org and Microformats.org
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:46:46 -0700

Square peg. Round hole. Push hard.

I see no problem with using microids that way, but to mandate that it's
the only way to use them is overly restrictive.

And I don't think that a microid is equivalent to rel='me', because it
can be used even by folks who don't have a web presence.

E.g., http://www.gmpg.org/xfn/and/ says:

"A user with an XFN Friendly blog, blogroll, or web site, can use that
site as a nexus for linking together all these otherwise disparate and
isolated social networking sites, by linking from those sites to their
blog, and then linking from their blog to their particular page(s) on
each such centralized social networking site."

Unfortunately, most people don't have an XFN Friendly blog, blogroll, or
web site (and most people probably never will).

But I do agree that we need to explain how microid works in a friendly
way with rel='me', OpenID, and other such technologies.

Peter