market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:29:40 -0400

Cherokee gets bright red even when grown under shade cloth, and is one of the best for staying good in hot weather of anything I've grown. It doesn't look like the Red Sails type; it's a batavian/summer crisp. Sierra gets almost no color under 30% shadecloth, at least here. Red Sails and Hyper Red Rumple Waved both bolt sooner than Cherokee in the heat; Hyper Red gets better color under shadecloth than Red Sails. New Red Fire had no better color than Red Sails and the heads fell apart when I cut them at baby, teenage, or full size; though that wouldn't be a problem for individual leaf harvests.

My customers like bright red just fine. Most of them are put off by speckled lettuces, however (Forellenschluss, Flashy Trout Back, etc); they think there's something wrong with them.

Can't speak to Paradai, I've never grown it.