market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:15:25 +0000

I find here that the shelf life of most CA or Mex grown salad vegetables is fair-poor. I can get locally grown greens and they will last 2-3 times longer in the frig. You're right, good post-harvest handling helps. But I think CA uses it as a crutch, letting the supply chain handle it much too long. Respiration can be slowed but not stopped, and it shows in their product much too often.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

University of Illinois, Crop Sciences

St Charles Horticulture Research Center